Monday 11 April 2011

The folly of materialism: Introduction

My car has recently been written off due to water damage to the electrics after the flood that washed through our house two weeks ago today.

I have been most fortunate to have borrowed a 14 year old car from a dear and special friend to help me get by. I have throroughly enjoyed driving around in the little white 1.6 honda luxline, as it it my friend and it has taught me many lessons.

Stepping out of my life after the flood and looking back in, I see how utterly easy it is in our modern, western society to define ourselves by the house and suburb we live in, the car we drive and our jobs. I know from my own personal experience that the cost of this image which we present to the world, is often greater than the actual rands and cents spent, the cost is that this set up actually keeps us stuck in a great and clever illusion.

Yogananda said " I once saw a cartoon drawing of a dog hitched to a small, but well -laden cart. The dog's owner found an ingenious method of getting it to pull the cart for him. A long pole, tied to the cart, extended forward over the dog's head. At the end of the pole there dangled a sausage, temptingly. The dog, straining in vain to reach that sausage, hardly noticed the heavy cart he was dragging along behind him.
"How many business people are like that! They keep thinking 'If I can make just a little more money, I'll find happiness at last'. Somehow, their 'sausages of happiness' keeps receding from their grasp. As they strain to reach it, however, just see what a cart load of troubles and worries they drag along behind them"

No comments:

Post a Comment