Wednesday 30 March 2011

Talking less, saying more

The Masters are able to illustrate their points by using short, conscise and simple sentences. I suppose that for them, less really is more!

Jesus changed the world. One of His tools was the use of worlds, parables, simple sentences, simple stories. The simple, deeply profound narratives really went a very long way: we have used them as a basis for an entire religion. Simple Biblical versus such as "Happy are the children for they shall inherit the Kingdom of God" sum up so much. A few words yet so rich and so spiritually uplifting!

I once visited an Ashram where the Master spoke once a week. For the remainder of the time, he observed Mouna (the sanskrit work for silence). The spiritual teacher  said that the mere act of talking expended enormous amounts of energy, energy that could otherwise be used to grow closer to the Divine.

I woke up this morning thinking: "Why not half the number of worlds I use today? Why not Make a conscious effort to say everything that needs to be said in half the amount of time using half the number of worlds"?

Further relfection on the thought got me thinking what the benefits may be:
- talking less could save my time and others'
- talking less could conserving my energy
- by talking less and saying more I could become conscious and mindful when choosing every word that passes by my lips

Perhaps the ultimate benefit would perhaps be the development of a deep, personal relationship silent moments with my very own Self and thus with the Divine.

Yogananda said: " If you want to feel God's guidance in your life, dont waste time talking idly with others. Silence is the altar of the Spirit"

No comments:

Post a Comment