Thursday 24 March 2011

Acceptance

I am awaiting the announcement of my final exam results today, the culmination of 12 years of post school study.

Sitting here, I have mentally prepared myself to simply Accept whatever comes my way today, and thus have decided to share my thoughts and feelings on what Acceptance means to me.

I believe Acceptance to be one of lifes greatest lessons & opportunities for freedom: Simple Acceptance of everything exactly as it is certainly supports the cultivation of a deep, personal inner freedom. And herein lies the reason:  It is when we struggle with people or events in our lives that we cause ourselves pain.

And so, in order to avoid the pain, avoid the struggle. And in order to avoid the struggle, just say: "I Accept, everything the way it is"

This does not mean that I should become a doormat and allow people to walk on over me. Rather it means that I Accept the things which happen outside of me, over which i have no control or power. My power lies in how i choose to respond: Let Acceptance become my empowered response.

This reminds me of the Serinity Prayer of St. Francis Of Assissi"
"Lord grant me the Serinity to accept the things i cannot change
The Courage to change the things i can
And the Wisdom to know the difference
Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment