Friday 5 August 2011

My Guru: Reflection

To have a spiritual teacher is a wonderful blessing! My love for Guru is timeless: the closer I get to Him, the brighter my own light shines!
As explained in my recent blog of the parable of the little soul and the Sun,  (http://spirituallyminespirituallyyours.blogspot.com/2011/06/where-did-i-come-from-and-why-am-i-here.html) the purpose of all life is for us to return to God.
The true Guru is one who has already achieved this, is thus God realized, and has come back to this realm to help others achieve the same.
Therefore, each encounter with the Guru is Holy and should be treated blessed and revered.
This reminds me of a letter written by Sri Gyanamata, a disciple of Sri Sri Paramhansa Yogananda in the early part of the last century. As it is timeless and entirely relevant to this topic, I wish to share it with you.

“Dear                           
I want to lay down some principles that I know will help you, for they are true, basic, timeless.
First: The meeting with the guru is not for pleasure. It is a hand-to-hand conflict between his God-conscious soul and the newly awakening soul of the disciple.
Second: A master does not care whether you suffer or not, whether your feelings are hurt or not, because he knows that when his work for your soul is accomplished, all suffering will be over for you. One night at dinner, not long ago, our Guru said: “All suffering is from Satan”. It was some time before I got the meaning, though it is obvious. A perfect soul is all Bliss. You cannot hurt its feelings nor bring tears to its eyes.
Third: Your feelings were hurt? What of it? Resolve that for you will dawn the day of absolute liberation from all petty feelings.
Fourth: Do you remember my telling you that when I first came to the Mother Centre, I determined that, whatever happened, I would not be daunted nor ask questions. I would try to see eye-to-eye with the Guru. The result has justified the experiment, and not long ago, he praised me because he never had to explain anything to me.
Fifth:  Make a few simple rules for yourself. If the Guru seems to be displeased with you, ask him to show wherein you went wrong that you may improve. If you wish to explain yourself, do so, for he always welcomes explanations, but do so respectfully, withj sincerity that cannot be mistaken, and with humility.
Now, what does that word “humility” mean? Nothing worm-like or groveling. It means the simple, straightforward admission that you are not perfect and that you know you get nothing in the way of blame or discipline that you do not deserve. Never stay away from him. If you only get suffering, come just the same. Remember how the saint kept coming, when his Guru, to test him, would not speak to him.

Sixth: When love beckons to you, follow Him, though His ways are hard and steep.
And when his wings enfold you, yield to Him, though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
And when he speaks to you, believe on Him, though his words may shatter your dreams
as the north wind lays waste the garden.

Signed,

Gyanamata

No comments:

Post a Comment